Kim plops two pear popsicles on her new balcony table, unwraps one and hands it to me. I've never had a pear popsicle before, I say. She replies that its the best thing ever, and so it was.
Unlike every Tuesday I've had so far, today was probably my favourite. Jules joined us for a picnic at the breath-taking Juliana Park (a hidden gem - only the locals seemed to know about this gated oasis) before leaving early for a class. Having nothing else planned for the day gave me the luxury of spending an afternoon on Kim's balcony. I love her flat - the stairs are so thin, tall and steep that you say a prayer every time you climb them. There are signs of renewed bursts of enthusiasm to keep the place tidy but always falling short. Character is what I call it.
And so we sit for a moment in silence, listening to the gulls clapping their wings above us in the sky. I'm so glad I chose to come to Utrecht for my exchange, I say. I love it. Kim smiles - she's exchanging in Singapore next semester in NUS medicine, and I promise myself to give her the best time ever.
X
No comments:
Post a Comment